Important points of Rice
- Family- Gramini
- Scientific name- Oryza sativa
- Self pollinated crop
- June-July (sowing time)
- Requirement of Nitrogen-80-120 kg/ha, Phosphorus- 40-60 kg/ha, Potash- 40-50 kg/ha
- Azolla and blue green algae are used in paddy crop to complete their requirement of nitrogen as green manure
- For straight swing seed rate-75-100 kg/ha
- For transplanting – 23-30 kg
- Averae production of paddy – 22.4 quintal/ha
- Propanil (stem-34), Butachlor(Mahette and flue chloralin (basilin) are main weedicides for paddy
- Critical stages for water:
- Booting stage :most critical stage
- Tillering stage: 0-20 days
- Primordia growth to flowering stage – 40-60 days
In all the step water logging should be 5cm from the field surface.
- Hybrid rice
- China firstly produced hybrid rice at the end of 1970.
- After it India distributed 5sets of hybrid variety in 1994- APRH1, APRH2, KRH1, MGR1 by A.P, Karnataka, and Tamilnadu
- After two years three another variety- CNRH1, KRH 3 & DRRH 1 distributed by W.B &A.p.
- Only PHB 71 is hybrid variety developed by private institution.
- Dapong Method
- This method is popular in Philippines & Japan.
- Seedling are ready for transplanting in 12th day.
- Germinated seeds are spread on the wooden plank or concrete sheet covered polythene sheet at 1.5kg/m2 or 50 times more than the test weight.
- Seeding from 1m2 from this method is enough for 200 m2 field transplanting
- In this method 2.5 times more seeds are needed than any other method
- Paddy rom this method shows flower before 4 days.
- Idle age-maximum 4 leaves minimum 3
- Kharif- 20-30 days seedlings- 20*15cm
- Rabi- 30-35 days seedlings-15*15 cm
- Puddling is done in rice field to reduce water leakage.
- System of Rice Intensification (श्री विधि)
- In this method seedlings are sowed aone by one only one at a place instead of sowing many seedlings at one place, it gives more product & damage to environment is also less.
- Sumant kumar from Bihar broke the record of China for maximum paddy production. He produced 22.4 ton/hac of paddy.
- Content of (in rice) protein-6-7%, Carbohydrate-76%, fat and other minerals-1.1%
- Paddy is on top of the cereals crops in production and area in the world.
- Paddy has 32% of agriculture land in India
- It grow 21.6% of total paddy production of the world & has 2nd position
- UNO celebrates 2004 as international rice year.
- In W.B and Tamil Nadu, rice are grown in three season.
- आस – sept-oct
- अमन – winter
- बोरो – summer
- In India the first dwarf variety of rice developed is Jaya by Agriculture directorate
- Main varities of paddy- Saket, Govind, Kaveri, Ratna, Jaya, Sarju, Mahsuri, Pusa-33, Bala, Lunashree
- Central Rice Institute of(Cuttak, Odisha) has developed more production giving variety called Lunashree.
- New varieties of Paddy- Dhansri, RH-204(hybrid variety- 6-6.5tonn/ha), GR-8, Dandi Shah Sarang, Gauri, Sweta, bhudev, varsha, Pantdhann-15, Chingam, dhanu etc
- Japan has developed a rice variety which has vaccine of Haija (हैजा).
- Maximum paddy area in world is in India.
- Golden rice has maximum vitamin A.
- Generally while washing rice, vitamin B, Thymin get vanish and so as polished rice. Eating this rice causes Beri-Beri.
- High quality rice is developed by IARI in recent year- Pusa-1460 & 1401
- Pusa 1460 is world’s first superfine cereal.
- Pusa basmati-1121 has total contribution of 75% in basmati rice export in India.
- New variety Kohsar is developed on 6 Nov,2011 for top region in Jammu & Kashmir.
- ICAR has developed Pusa-1509 on 19 feb, 2012. This variety is resistant to disease bakani (बकानी), rest all its characteristics is like Pusa-1121.
Paddy Production Paddy area
(2012) (2011) (2006-07)
Country State(India) country state
China W.B India W.B
India U.P China Odisha
Indonesia A.P Indonesia A.P
Paddy productivity Paddy Import
(2008-09) (2006-07) (2012)
Country State India
Egypt Punjab Vietnam
USA Tamil Nadu Thailand
Korea A.P Pakistan